Monday 4 December 2006

Don't mess at a Baptism!

Ow, ow, ow! My tongue still hurts from having to bite it all yesterday.

I had to go to my cousins Baptism on Sunday, thanks to an impressive guilt trip by my Dad, and anyone who knows me well enough will know that that isn't my 'thing' (what with me believing that Christianity in all it's forms is practically the main cause of all racism, sexism and homophobia in Western society - but that's not the point of this post).

So I'm sitting there, my bum going numb and getting crushed by the old 'rock and hard place' A.K.A 'a pew stand and my Gran' and it was time for my cousin to go up and receive the service of holy Baptism, we all smiled proudly while she lit the advent candle, I muttered out the communions part of the prayers (like everyone else does), the priest presented my cousin then asked her to make 'The Decision'. To anyone who has never been to a Christening/Baptism or hasn't been to one recently, usually people are christened when they are babies and so it's the God-parents who make the Decision for them during the service as representatives. However, my cousin is thirteen so she made the decision by her self and now we get to the point in the service where I had to bite extra hard on my tongue, this is what 'The Decision' involves (P = Priest, C = Cousin):

P: In baptism, God calls us out of darkness into his marvellous light.
To follow Christ means dying to sin and rising to new life with him. Therefore I ask:


Do you reject the devil and all rebellion against God?
C: I reject them.


P: Do you renounce the deceit and corruption of evil?
C: I renounce them.


P: Do you repent of the sins that seperate us from God and neighbour?
C: I repent of them.


P: Do you turn to Christ as Saviour?
C: I turn to Christ.


P: Do you submit to Christ as Lord?
C: I submit to Christ.


P: Do you come to Christ, the way, the truth and the life?
C: I come to Christ.


I nearly pierced my tongue trying to keep myself quiet, for the sake and love of my family and all I thought form that point on: 'These people do not mess.'

And you know what? I have to do it all again next month!

1 comment:

L said...

A big fat EWWWWWWW to that. I went to my cousin's first communion earlier in the year and it was equally creepy, fully proving that Catholicism is all about guilt tripping people into believing. I refused to say a word of the prayers.